Earth’s ImprobabilitiesApril 5, 2007
I’ve mainly devoted this site to talking about things that don’t get their fair share of recognition but most people realize today that our planet is amazingly well-suited to hosting life. So I’ll only spend a short time on this article. I’d like to have a full laundry list of all the remarkable things about this planet with links to articles covering them in detail. I’m suffering a lapse in creativity so I’m declaring my first group project. If you know of any good articles covering a specific subject then please post a comment with a link to the article and I’ll add it to the page. Here are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.
- Unique Properties of Water
- Distance from the Sun
- Lunar Tides
- Protection from Solar Radiation
- Reactive Atmosphere (Nitrogen and Oxygen react)
- Conditions at Cueva de los Cristales were kept at exactly the right temperature for “many hundreds of thousands of years” in order to produce 33 foot long crystals.
- Very specific conditions are required for fossils to form and in this case, conditions were so perfect as to preserve soft tissue in T. Rex for 220 million years.